Acidity is a common condition that tends to affect adults. It is generally characterized by the heartburn that is felt close to lower chest. This is because the acid present in the stomach flows in the opposite direction towards our food pipe. Very few adults realize the fact that unhealthy lifestyle with poor eating habits tend to cause acidity.
How does it occur?
The food that we eat tends to pass down from the oesophagus towards the stomach. Now this food is digested by the help of gastric glands present in the stomach which create enough acid to break down the food and kill the germs. Acidity tends to occur when these glands produce surplus amount of the acid which is more than needed. This leads to a burning sensation occurring in the point just above our stomach and right below our breastbone. It is common for those who love to eat oily as well as spicy food items. People often consume the Zinetac tablet that is used to cure the symptoms of acidity.
Who is more likely to be affected by acidity?
The patients who are vulnerable to acidity are the ones who
- Consume high amounts of alcohol
- Are obese
- Consume spicy food very often
- Consume food that is non-vegetarian every now and then
- Take NSAIDs
- Women close to menopause
- Pregnant women
- People suffering from medical issues such as asthma, peptic ulcers, diabetes, etc
Acidity can take a toll on your body due to
- Unhealthy dietary habits
- Excess consumption of oily or spicy food
- Side effect from certain medications
- Medical conditions
- Stress, depression, or lack of proper sleep
- Consume fried foods not prepared with an air fryer
Acidity is often the first step towards a bigger health issue related to stomach. High acidity inside the stomach for a long time can also lead to the occurrence of ulcer which when not treated in the right time can cause stomach infection. You can opt to treat yourself with Metrogyl tablet that is used for curing stomach infection, but do so only when prescribed by the doctor. Acidity can be characterized by observing the following symptoms such as.
- Burning sensation felt inside the stomach, heart, and throat
- Difficulty during swallowing food
- Lingering sour taste inside the mouth
- Bad breath
Can acidity turn into complications?
While it is easier to handle acidity in the younger age, the issue worsens as you age with no control over your dietary intake. Yes, acidity can definitely get complicated with issues such as.
- Intense pain inside the abdomen or chest
- Difficulty when it comes to swallowing food
- Gastric Ulcers
- Excessive Vomiting
Depending on the condition you are going through, the doctor will most likely prescribe you a series of medications which include the antacids. For conditions that have become too severe, Vagotomy might be suggested which helps the reduction of acid production inside the stomach.